Sunday, March 11, 2012

The User's Review: SMC Pentax FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm AL and FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm

Pentax made two versions of FA 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 zooms. The AL version is an earlier one. I have the two versions and put them side-by-side to compare.

The AL version on left is bigger in diameter, but the newer version on right is long. 

The newer version has macro between 0.5 - 1 m while the AL version has 0.7 m as its closest focus distance.
And the AL is shorter when fully extended. 

Although they share the same lens cap, the AL has a bigger front element .


The AL comes with a PH-RBD 58mm hood,which can't be used on the other zoom.

2 comments:

  1. I was googling the lens when I came across this post. I currently have a 35mm Pentax that I use this lense on. I was curious if this lens would convert to a digital camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are fully compatible with Pentax Digital SLR bodies. Remember the 1.5x focus distance factor for the small digital image sensor in DSLR. That means the focus range of these two zooms will be 42 - 120 mm on a pentax with non-full-size sensor.

      Delete